WWW.HOMESECURITYHEROES.COM IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE IDENTITY GUARD AFFILIATE PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR SITES TO EARN ADVERTISING FEES BY ADVERTISING AND LINKING TO THE COMPANY WEBSITE.
Identity Guard vs LifeLock Comparison 2021
by Calvin Fellows
Topic: ID Theft
> 3 min read
IDENTITY GUARD VS LIFELOCK: Which will save you?
Identity Guard vs Lifelock. Identity Guard and LifeLock offer many of the same similar services. Each is perfect for an array of circumstances. The 24/7 customer assistance from LifeLock is one of its best features, while Identity Guard includes risk management scores and high-risk transaction alerts at all level plans. LifeLock is a works best with tech-conscious consumers while Identity Guard a great all-around identity theft protection service.
When it comes to Identity Guard, we can’t deny the fact their plans are less expensive than those of LifeLock. You can get started for as low as $8.99. However, there is no money back guarantee as offered by LifeLock and Identity Guard’s identity restoration process is not as robust as LifeLock’s. Overall Identity Guard “gets the job done” but it’s not the best.
LifeLock will cost you quite a bit, especially the family plan when you consider an additional $6 per child and a separate spousal account. However, they’re very transparent in what they offer and you do get multiple layers of security in that you get access to constant credit monitoring in addition to identity theft protection and restoration. So if budget is not a major barrier then LifeLock makes more sense.
Identity Guard vs. LifeLock: Comparison
Both Identity Guard and LifeLock are credible names when it comes to identity protection services. Both rely on a robust financial and credit monitoring mechanism. You will be alerted of unusual or suspicious activity and will be assisted in case a breach has occurred.
If you’re squeezed for time, we have also added a quick 10-second Identity Guard comparison with LifeLock.
WHAT YOU GET
Extensive information screening
Identity theft insurance cover
24-7 Customer Support
Sex offender Database
Stolen wallet cover
- 1 Identity Guard vs LifeLock Comparison 2021
- 1.1 Identity Guard vs. LifeLock: Comparison
- 1.2 QUICK FACE-OFF
- 1.3 Identity Guard
- 1.4 LifeLock
- 1.5 Pros and Cons
- 1.6 Understanding Identity Theft
- 1.7 Both are great products. Pick the one that best suits your needs. You can also read about other Best Identity Protection Service
Tell me if you agree with this sentence: Technology moves fast and has improved our lives dramatically.
If you are reading this article on your iPhone, I'm guessing you probably agree.
BUT - we have had to sacrifice much of our privacy to achieve the convenience that we now take for granted. Most of us have "left the front door wide open" for the bad guys to come along and take what they want: your social security number, your home address, your entire identity.
If recent history is a guide, identity theft attacks and data breaches aren’t slowing down anytime soon. Even corporate behemoths aren’t safe! Toyota recently had a data breach, exposing personal details of over 3 million customers (published on BleepingComputer.com).
This underscores one very important point: Identity security matters!
In this article, I'll be explaining identity theft, why you must be extra vigilant, and will compare two very well-known identity protection services for you– Identity Guard and Lifelock.
The backbone of Identity Guard information protection mechanism is IBM® Watson™ artificial intelligence. Android and iOS apps are quite user-friendly. Moreover, it is fortified with anti-phishing features and extensions for Chrome, Firefox and Safari browsers. The anti-fishing feature is quite handy when it comes to keeping tracking cookies at bay.
Identity Guard Pricing and Plans
Identity Guard has 3 protection plans to offer. If you’re big on making bulk payments to save then you’re in luck because Identity Guard offers discounts on annual plan options.
It costs $8.99 per month, or $7.20 per month if you enroll through a link on this page. It’s easy on your wallet and perfect if you’ve just started to explore identity protection. More importantly, you’re eligible for an insurance cover of up to $1 million under this plan and you will be assigned an exclusive case manager to oversee the identity restoration process if your information is stolen.
This plan will run you a monthly bill of $19.99, or $15.99 if you enroll through a link on this page. You get all the coverage and features of the Value Plan plus you’ll be alerted if any changes are detected to your credit, a bank account is opened or if any changes are detected to your existing accounts. The plan also gives you monthly access to your credit score* from VantageScore 3.0.
If you want more comprehensive ID protection then the Identity Guard Premier plan makes more sense. It will cost you $24.99 a month, or $19.99 per month if you enroll through a link on this page. Apart from the features from the other two plans, Identity Guard offers an annual credit report based on data from Equifax, Experian, and Transunion.
If you want to bring your entire family (at a single address) under the cover of identity protection, then you can sign up for Identity Guard’s family plans. Each family plan comes with dark web monitoring for your child’s personal information and cyberbullying alerts. They are further categorized as:
- Value Plan- $11.99/month if you purchase through a link on this page.
- Total Plan- $23.99/month if you purchase through a link on this page.
- Premier Plan- $27.99/month if you purchase through a link on this page.
Identity Guard Customer Service
As mentioned earlier, Identity Guard limits its phone assistance to specific working hours. This can be a hassle in case you need immediate assistance.
All in all, Identity Guard offers a decent level of identity protection. The Identity Guard fraud alerts you receive won’t be exceedingly excessive that it starts to annoy, yet they’ll be prompt if something needs your attention. Moreover, Identity Guard is quite adept at tracking your Social Security Number online.
Is Identity Guard the Right One For You? Read Our Identity Guard Reviews now.
The following section presents a comprehensive inspection of LifeLock.
Features and Service
With over 5 million subscribers, LifeLock is one of the most popular identity protection and recovery services currently available. It offers protection for your bank accounts, credit, and other sensitive information. If you have been affected by identity theft, LifeLock will help you recover your compromised accounts and will also reimburse in case of financial loss. Moreover, their phone support is available 24-7.
How Much is LifeLock?
It is the cheapest of the 3 plans offered by LifeLock and costs $11.99 per month, However, if you pay for the year it’ll run you $125 instead of $144. You’re eligible for up to $1 million in case of lost identity and an additional $25,000 for financial loss and to top it off you’ll be entitled to $25,000 more to cover personal expenses.
The downside is that you won’t have access to any credit reports or credit scores. However, it does screen your Equifax credit records and prompts you if information such as your address, banks accounts or SSN is being used unlawfully.
LifeLock Advantage Plan
It will cost you $23.99 per month or $20/month for the year. In addition to the features of the Standard plan, the coverage for financial loss and personal expenses is bumped up to $100,000 each. For credit monitoring, you get an additional Equifax credit report and Equifax VantageScore 3.0 credit score annually. Moreover, you will also be prompted if your credit card is being used.
LifeLock Ultimate Plus Plan
It will cost you $34.99 per month or $28.33/month for the year. There are 2 main benefits here. One, the personal expense coverage goes up to $1 million. Secondly, credit screening is even more thorough. Reports from all 3 credit agencies are included, plus you’ll have monthly access to Vantage 3.0 scores from the credit reports of Experian and TransUnion and to sex offenders alerts.
Lifelock Family Plan*
After you sign up for any of the 3 individual plans (LifeLock Standard, Advantage or Ultimate Plus), you can add children under 18 to the plan for $5.99 per month. To add your partner, you’d have to sign up for a separate individual plan.
Although slightly more expensive than Identity Guard, yet it’s not out of reach and when you consider what it brings to the table, we believe it’s good value and more importantly, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you’re well protected.
Pros and Cons
For Identity Guard
Extensive security coverage: You’ll have access to an extensive suite of identity theft protection and restoration services, which include credit screening, dark web scanning, SSN, bank account and public record screening. Moreover, you’ll get immediate fraud alerts.
AI-assisted: All of the plans have IBM Watson artificial intelligence framework under the hood. This makes Identity Guard a lot more effective at what if offers.
A solid insurance coverage: If you have suffered financial loss as a result of identity loss, you will be eligible for up to $1 million insurance. Identity Guard collaborates with AIG, which is a very well respected global insurance provider.
Added online security: You’ll have access to password protection, ad blocking, tracking cookie blocking, and an anti-phishing mobile app.
No Money-Back Guarantee: Refunds are only made in rare instances, but you can cancel your plan without hassle should you need to.
Money back guarantee: For annual members, a complete refund can be requested within 60-days.
A reliable insurance coverage: You’re eligible for up to $1 million for financial loss and $1 million for personal expenses
Reliable customer support: You’ll be given round the clock phone assassinate
Dedicated identity restoration departments: If your information gets stolen, they will thoroughly guide you and oversee the entire account restoration process.
Expensive family plan: You’ll have to spend extra for complete family coverage. There are additional charges for adding kids and your partner must buy his/her own plan.
Annual price increase: You’ll have to pay a dollar extra per month for any plan you subscribe after 1 year.
You will have access to Identity Restoration Service during working hours only.
Understanding Identity Theft
What Is It?
The term identity theft first appeared in the mid-1960’s. Put simply, identity theft occurs when someone steals your personal information with the intention of gaining unlawful access to your financials and other important assets. Other times, they may simply wish to destroy your reputation.
And here’s the kicker...
If the identity thief is any smart, he’ll cover his tracks well and whatever he does after assuming your identity could be considered YOUR responsibility. Yikes.
Identity Theft Threats: How They Impact You
From a stinging financial loss to badly dented credit, there’s plenty that can go wrong if your identity is stolen. Following are some of the common risks you’re exposed to after identity theft:
- Fake credit card accounts can be opened in your name.
- Your existing credit or debit cards used for a fun day out at the mall in an epic criminal shopping spree. Maybe the thief buys something illegal.
- Identity theft allows thieves to tamper with your tax records or even retrieve your tax refunds.
- With your passwords and PIN numbers out in the open, you other family members are exposed to the risk as well. It’s not uncommon that your stolen information may even lead to child ID theft.
Why It’s Crucial to Invest in an Identity Protection Service
- There are several compelling reasons why most of us prefer seeing a doctor when we get sick instead of popping a couple of pills ourselves – expertise, safety, and convenience. Similarly, subscribing to a good identity protection service can help you in many ways and provide a lot more value than what you pay for it. Here’s what to expect:
- Monitoring: An identity protection service will have a robust monitoring mechanism in place that will continually monitor your credit files.
- Alerts: Being able to react quickly after your information has been compromised is the most important factor in minimizing the damage. Having an identity protection service on board becomes crucial as it would alert you immediately if something is not right. This enables you to respond swiftly before it’s too late.
- Information and financial recovery: In case damage has been done; such a service will assist you in recovering your accounts and recoup the financial damage to a certain degree. Depending on the plan you choose, you can be eligible for insurance up to $1 million.
What Matters While Choosing an Identity Protection Service
Here’s what to consider when choosing your service provider:
- Compare several services: It becomes quite a bit easier to choose with side by side comparison of the best available protection services. You should compare the coverage, the plans they offer, the monthly cost along with the levels of protection you desire.
- Don’t ignore testimonials: No matter how good the service is known to be, it is absolutely paramount that you thoroughly go through some recent testimonials. That will tell you if indeed the service offers the protection it promises. A few minutes spent here can save you a major financial headache.
- Choose a service that’s transparent: If you feel lost into the fine print and the service provider’s disclosures, guarantees, and features are not crystal clear, then it’s best to move on to the next option.
Both are great products. Pick the one that best suits your needs. You can also read about other Best Identity Protection Service
About the Author
Calvin Fellows is a former military security agent and police detective who headed security administration. Calvin is experienced and knowledgeable in all avenues of personal and corporate security, and is dedicated to educating people on how to preempt any physical or cyber security attacks before they happen.
* The score you receive with Identity Guard is provided for educational purposes to help you understand your credit. It is calculated using the information contained in your TransUnion credit file. Lenders use many different credit scoring systems, and the score you receive with Identity Guard is not the same score used by lenders to evaluate your credit.
** Identity Theft Insurance underwritten by insurance company subsidiaries or affiliates of American International Group‚ Inc. The description herein is a summary and intended for informational purposes only and does not include all terms‚ conditions and exclusions of the policies described. Please refer to the actual policies for terms‚ conditions‚ and exclusions of coverage. Coverage may not be available in all jurisdictions.